Rayburn 368K - Boiler flame yellow ?

General Aga and other range cooker related chat.

Moderators: Moderator, Admin

Rayburn 368K - Boiler flame yellow ?

Postby gbrowne on Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:13 pm

Could someone please describe the correct colour for the flame in a Rayburn 368K boiler once it's up to working temperature?

Mine seems to behave normally, starting with a small yellow flame which slowly grows into a large bright blue one, but then seems to turn bright yellow as it gets up to working temperature. I have tried temporarily reducing the oil flow which resulted in a smaller yellow flame (and obviously less heat output).

I have cleaned all the baffles and the boiler sides. There is plenty of draw in the flue, the fan seems to be running fine. So - is a bright yellow flame normal ? I was taught that a blue flame is the most efficient and with the price of oil, I want to get it running as efficiently as possible (though I do realise the term 'efficient' is not very descriptive of a range cooker :( ).

Any suggestions very welcome,

Geoff.
gbrowne

Re: Rayburn 368K - Boiler flame yellow ?

Postby AGA man on Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:04 pm

what you should be seeing is a blue flame with a white /yellow top, playing with the flow rates without actually flow rating it is not a good idea, if it fills up every last square millimeter with soot you will understand why..........another thing that can effect the persevered colour of the flame is if there is any discoloration of the sight glass.
AGA man

Postby gbrowne on Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:15 pm

Hi AGAman,

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

I only tried lowering the oil rate temporarily by about 1/2 a turn - I carefully reset it back again afterwards.
The test didn't seem to affect the colour of the flame, just its size.

When I cleaned the burner, I also cleaned the grey dust off the sight glass - it's not crystal clear, but not too bad.

The flames are blue down amongst the metal baffles, but where they come out of the top of the burner and over the V-shaped
one they are distinctly bright yellow.

Cheers,
Geoff.
gbrowne

Postby john on Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:47 pm

As aga man says the flame on a hot burner has yellow tips . The root will be blue but may be masked by the brightness of the main part . The flame should be sharp with no smokey tips and should not be lazy which could would suggest a mucky fan or a windbox air leak. Sometimes it is difficult to judge if the flame is disappearing upwards past the Vee baffle. This is a good reason for reducing the fuel input so that the flame is all in sight . It should split and rise to the level of the top of the vee baffle but not go out of sight beyond that. The flame tips will be sharp and a year of running ( six months if you follow Rayburn's instructions) should not choke the narrow flueways in the tapered bricks.
john

Postby gbrowne on Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:12 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. I have reduced the oil rate slightly and the flame is a bit less yellow and does not come above the v-baffle. The odd thing is that as the burner heats up it goes through a really nice hot looking blue flame before it comes out of the top of the burner and turns yellow. The flame tops are quite sharp, not 'lazy' looking.

Would an incorrect oil depth cause a yellow flame perhaps ?

Cheers,
Geoff
gbrowne

Postby john on Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:09 pm

If it works , dont worry about the oil depth.

The procedure for checking the depth is a marathon and if you adjust it you will then have to adjust the cooker burner too.
What you describe now sounds normal. Forget it for a year and you will have a good Idea at the next service if it is running reasonably.

Don't keep peeking through the glass. You will only get a bit paranoid about what you see!
Tell us next year what you find when you clean it out.
john

Postby gbrowne on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:26 am

Hi John,

I will do as you say. Hopefully I will see a reduction in oil usage too :)
Thanks for your help and advice !

Cheers,
Geoff.
gbrowne

Return to General