Rayburn supreme Don forced draught burner

General Aga and other range cooker related chat.

Moderators: Moderator, Admin

Rayburn supreme Don forced draught burner

Postby berby on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:31 pm

Anyone got a clue how to remove this as there is a big hole in my customers burner wall?
berby

Re: Rayburn supreme Don forced draught burner

Postby john on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:51 pm

I dont know whether this would be worthwhile berby as AFAIK the pot is not available .
Was told this recently by Chris at Oilwarm . maybe you know different .

If you have a reasonable repair proposal I can tell you how to remove
john

Postby berby on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:47 am

Heating south west have managed to salvage one from a scrap supreme but they chopped out the part i needed. Have removed all bolts i can see and the fan from the knackered one but it won't budge.
berby

Postby john on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:31 pm

To do one of these properly , remove the hotplate, and both top burner door, and ashpit door.
Then remove swinging baffles, (a spit pin though the hinge pin is visible via the top of the hollow section upright of the baffle frame, This permits removal of the pin, then the baffle)

looking through the ashpit door , at the top , there is a plate held in place by three screws. Remove this plate and the rockwool behind it .
There may be a dew gobs of fireclay which will need to be chiseled away, but you should see two bolts holding the baffle frame to the lower burner box. Remove these, and the single central self tapper, all accessible behind this plate .

Remove the oil pipe and the Fire valve phial.
Look down thought he hotplate and you will see a closure plate at the front of the burner held in place by two set screws down through a flange. Remove these , and any gobs of fireclay around this closure plate, and pull the plate upwards.

The box should now be "easily" removed by pulling and sliding though the ashpit door. Easily being a relative term . Fireclay in small gobs has an adverse effect.

As they say in all good manuals , reassemble in reverse order.

I understand that Sandy has the upper and lower rings in plenty

There were two types of pot . Early ones had a circular flange. Later ones were welded to the square lid of the air box so the whole lid assy was replaced. You need the correct one.
Sounds like the one you have has been butchered. Maybe hardly worth considering
john

Postby berby on Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:21 am

Thanks John. Now i know its the hidden fire cement i am having difficult with. Shall return with more vigour.
berby

Postby john on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:31 pm

berby wrote:Thanks John. Now i know its the hidden fire cement i am having difficult with. Shall return with more vigour.

When you get the baffle frame out (Through the top door ) all should become clear .
john

Postby berby on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:50 am

Replacement burner (second hand) fitted. All levels correct, nice flame on fan and idle but goes out after 3 hours. This is probably when the system is up to temperature and the fan turns off. Not sooting.
I feel it must have something to do with the replacement burner as it was functioning fine before it burnt out.thoughts?
berby

Postby john on Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:00 pm

Hi berby
The most likely problem is if the fan comes on before the fuel rate had increased sufficiently to take it . Basically it blows itself out.
In ideal circumstances the low fire should start to increase and then the fan should start .
There is adjustment in the electric top for the point at which the microswitch triggers the fan. It is a simple adjustment screw for the shoe which operates the switch.
It mat not be a bad idea to increase low fire a bit anyway.
john

Postby berby on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:28 am

Thanks John,the replacement was the earlier burner so had to modify and attach a front plate that holds the fan to it. Low fire tweaked and the fan timing was 45 seconds, have increased to 1.5 minuets. Now hoping not to hear from the old boy.
berby

Postby berby on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:52 am

It wasn't to be. Old boy just wrung to say it lasted 5 to 6 hours yesterday before going out.
berby

Postby john on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:34 pm

Is the flap on the front plate opening and closing when it should
john

Postby berby on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:15 pm

Sorted. Good spot John. Because the front plate of the old burner had to be cut off and welded to the new one there was some overlap in material where the flap housing was. I had cut this off when it was in situ and was not trimmed quite enough. The flap would intermittently stick in the closed position causing the flame to suffercate on low flame. I have now removed more of the adjacent metal and it no longer sticks, has been running now for 4 days none stop. Case closed.
berby

Return to General